Saturday, January 1, 2011

10 memories from 2010


Prelude: I am participating in a challenge to journal daily from prompts offered on a website that I regularly visit. Here is the post for the first prompt: http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp?cmd=display&thread_id=3055672 I decided to go with Ten memories from the past year. I had actually typed them out in short hand before this prompt was posted, so I am just going to embellish the memories. These 10 are not in any particular order...

1) Aaron James Cuadra was born on October 12, 2010.

I was holding out for 10/10/10, his actual due date, but he needed just a bit of encouragement to make his appearance by inducing labor. I did not know that my heart could love so completely again so soon. He is so different from Jason my first grandson, but my heart is won all over again. Like the old saying goes, "If I had known grandchildren would have been so much fun (and rewarding), I would have had them first!"



2) Paying off bills and becoming debt free.
This is a bittersweet memory because becoming debt free only occurred because Paco was unemployed. He was laid off from Dow with 12/31/2009 being his last day of work. He got a severance package which allowed us to pay off all our debts for the first time ever in our marriage. Having no debt was a blessing because Paco's income from Unemployment was only 1/3 of his salary before being unemployed. We were even able to save some money, help mom, and stay debt free the whole year.

3) Moving mom to our state.
We were finally able to get mom from NC to WV. We spent the whole first half of the year packing, decluttering, giving away, and sharing with the family 60+ years of Mom's possessions and memories. Then we moved her to our home in July. Then into her own apartment (one bedroom after having a 3 bedroom double trailer for over 20 years. It was hard work, but very rewarding. I only wish her house would sell.


4) Transferring to the very job I applied for in 2007.
I applied for a position through Prestera in 2007 but did not get the job. The counselor that took that position retired with 8/20/10 as her last day. I started the job on 8/30/10. I am now based in SAHS and go to MMS, HMS, and BF every week. This has been a big change that is still requiring an adjustment on my part.

5) Making it financially despite DH being unemployed.
This goes along with #3. We were even able to tithe Paco's Unemployment benefits. I learned a lot about trusting in God with this.

6) Trip to beach: DH and I alone.
I surprised Paco with a trip to Ocean Isle Beach over the 4th of July weekend. He had been upset that I took off to the beach without him for an afternoon, but he did not know that I was scoping out where to go off together. This trip taught me that I need to work more on our marriage.

7) Watching fireworks on the coast of NC and seeing at least a dozen sets of them.
While at the beach, we stood on the pier and was able to see fireworks all up and down the coast. It was awesome to watch. We also saw a baby shark that someone caught while fishing off the pier. I SWAM in the same waters as that shark. Needless to say, I enjoyed being at the pool more.

8) Spending mother's day with the extended family.
Mari-Ana's family was in. It was great to see everyone, spend time with everyone, and Griffin was so proud to participate in his first Holy Communion.

9) Having most of my family close by.
I totally miss having Philip here, but I have Daniel, his family, Alina, and now mom all close by. Our impromptu get togethers are lots of fun. I am so happy to be near my first two grandsons.

10) The realization that marriage does not get easier with time.
I am not really ready to expand this thought at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment